Bing Site Verification: How to Submit URLs and Verify Ownership
Bing is another search engine which you should use to get more traffic to your blog. Millions of people use Bing to search for information daily. It will be a good thing is you submit your URLs and verify your ownership of those URLs using Bing site verification tool. Also, Yahoo! search is powered by Bing, so if you do this verification, your site will be automatically verified by Yahoo as well.
How to do Bing Site Verification
Submit URLs to Bing
The first thing you need to do is to submit your URLs to bing. This is the first step to being indexed on Bing and Yahoo! With this, your site/blog URLs will listed on the search engine. You will need to create a Bing webmaster account so as to submit, verify and monitor your site/blog on Bing. There are two ways to accomplish this with Bing:
- Submission through the Submit your Site to Bing web form. This method is designed to allow web publishers to quickly alert Bing that their new site exists. Bing will crawl the URL you submitted and provided it meets certain criteria, your site will be indexed.
- The Submit URLs feature in the Configure My Site section in Bing Webmaster Tools. This feature is much faster and allows you to submit 10 URLs per day and a maximum of 50 URLs per month for immediate crawl and indexation.
To submit URLs using the Submit URL feature, simply add 1 URL per line and click Submit. The URLs are immediately evaluated for search indexation and when quality criteria are met, your site will begin to surfacing to searchers. Very useful in helping get important content indexed quickly, but there is a limit of 10 submissions per day, up to 50 (total) per month. Note, you can only submit domains only.
Verify Ownership of Your Website
To complete the addition of a new site to your webmaster account, you need to verify that you own the site by proving your ownership. There are three ownership verification methods. Click the option best suited for your site in your webmaster account and follow the on-screen instructions:
- XML File authentication: Click BingSiteAuth . xml to save the custom XML file, which contains your customized ownership verification code, to your computer, and then upload the file to the root directory of the registered site.
- Meta tag authentication: Copy the displayed tag with your custom ownership verification code to the clipboard. Then open your registered site’s default page in your web development environment editor and paste this tag’s code at the end of thetag region. Lastly, upload the revised default page file containing the new tag to your site.
- Add CNAME record to DNS: This option requires access to your domain hosting account. Inside that account you would edit the CNAME record to hold the verification code (series of numbers and letters) we have provided you. When complete, we can see this information and verify your ownership of the site.
Once you have added the ownership verification code to your site or in your DNS, click Verify. If Bing Webmaster Tools is able to verify your site, you will see your site information begin to populate. If you see a red text message stating “We weren’t able to verify your site,” review the information in the steps above and try again.
If you have further questions about this, please ask using the comment box provided further below. You will get a response from me as soon as possible.