Choosing the Right Topic for your Blog
Now that it seems like everybody wants to be a blogger when they grow up, one of the main problem is choosing the right topic for your blog. I know this is a problem because I received lots of emails from people who wants to start a blog but find it difficult to actually choose the right topic. It’s easier to blog when you know what topic or subject you should blog about.
In order to provide solution to this problem and not trying to re-invent the wheel, I search the internet for what top bloggers has written about choosing the right topic for your blog. I cam up with some that would be of immense help to you. They would be of great help ONLY if you read this post and also read more through the “read more” links I will be providing in this post.
Yaro Starak gave some common mistakes people make when choosing the right topic to write a blog about:
- Don’t pick a subject just because you see others make money writing about it
- Avoid writing about something you are passionate about, but very few other people are
- Don’t base a blog on a topic you know little about or have minimal practical experience in
- Be careful not to write about too diverse a range of subjects, your blog must have a focus
Chantal Vanderlaan gave five tips for choosing the right topic for your blog
- Follow your Passion
- Choose a topic that you like to discuss with other people
- Engage in debates
- Don’t pick a topic that you will be sensitive about
- Love of research
Corbett Barr wrote about how to choose the perfect topic for your next blog. In it, he advised that;
- Write down your goals for the blog you’re starting.
- Make a list of topics that you have a) experience in, b) an interest in and c) think you could be good at writing about.
- Review your list of topics against your goals and criteria. Eliminate those which don’t match.
- Make a short list of 3 to 10 of your favorites from the remaining list.
- Love of research
From the three people quoted in this post, and if you took time to read their views, you will by now know what your blog ‘s topic should be about. What I have shown you are some of the things I did and still do. I’m hoping you will do these and find a successful topic for your blog. It all starts by choosing the right topic for your blog.
Originally posted 2013-09-30 08:00:40.