Mobile Number Portability: How to Port from One Network to the Other
First, what is “Mobile Number Portability”? Mobile Number Portability (MNP) is the process of transferring (porting) your mobile phone number (SIM number) from your existing mobile network provider to another network.
To help you find out how you can port from one network to the other, I would be using Etisalat as an example of the network you may want to port too. With this, you would be able to port from either MTN, AIRTEL or GLO to Etisalat
The benefit of Mobile Number Portability to you the customer is that it allows you to choose the network you prefer based on aspects such as customer care, quality of service, value added services and the cost of communicating on the network.
You are free to choose any network without having to change to a new number. You don’t have to notify friends, family and associates about your new operator when you move or port to another network.
Please note, before porting/joining to Etisalat, you need to know that all existing airtime available on your previous line will expire upon successful porting and will not be carried forward to Etisalat. Call charges, plans and VAS offered by Etisalat may differ from that offered by your earlier service provider.
Before porting to Etisalat, you will need to provide some documents to authorize porting such as:
- Valid international Passport
- Valid driver’s license
- Nigerian national identity card or any valid means of identification
- Certificate of incorporation or Certificate of registration (For corporate accounts)
If you are unable to present any valid ID card. The agent at the Etisalat experience centre will use a webcam or a capturing device will be used to take the photograph of the customer
How to Port to Etisalat
To port to Etisalat, you are required to do any of the following;
- Fill the MNP application form by visiting an Etisalat MPOS or experience centre
- Fill the MNP application form online. Take the print out of the filled application form. If you cannot print it go with the reference number given to you in an sms. Take it to the Experience centre. Etisalat agents will retrieve your application and will process the Port-in
- Visit by Etisalat’s mobile field agents for you to fill out a Mobile Number Portability Request Form
- Call Etisalat dedicated MNP help line 08091234000 where their call centre agents would help in filling of the form.
- Send an SMS to PORT to “3232”.
- Sign the hardcopy of Number Porting Request Form as a declaration that you understand and consent to the porting in the shop, porting centers or with Etisalat’s field agents. A photocopy of your valid ID will be required to attach with the Porting Request Form. Etisalat Shop staff will assist you with these procedures.
Please note, there are no charges for you to port your number. You can call Etisalat’s dedicated helpline on 08091234000 to know the status of your porting request. You will be informed of the progress of your porting request by text messages
You can change your mind anytime before you send the confirmation SMS. Once the confirmation SMS has been sent, you can no longer cancel your port request and the porting process must progress to completion.
The Porting request will be completed within a maximum of 48 hours based on existing NCC business rules. Etisalat will work with you to make the process as quick and convenient as possible.
Your number can be ported multiple times. But you can only place a request to port to any of the operators once every 90 days after one porting request (as per NCC existing business rules).
Have you ported to another network? Kindly share your experience. And if you have further questions about this, please ask.